Club email lists
Email news and discussion lists
We use our email lists to share up to the minute information on trips and club nights. They are great for publicising and organising trips, for organising ad hoc activities, and for discussions about gear, caves, or related interests of the club.
We have two email lists.
You will receive notices about trips and club nights. Club members may use it for buy, sell, and swap. Contributions of a general caving nature or news are also made.
Often you will receive requests or reminders for articles for SumpThink.
Post to sumpthink group -> mailto:sumpthink [snail] yahoogroups [period] com?Subject=Post%20from%20WCG%20website Subscribe by email -> mailto:sumpthink-subscribe [snail] yahoogroups [period] com Unsubscribe by email -> mailto:sumpthink-unsubscribe [snail] yahoogroups [period] com
These lists are low volume, that is there may be half a dozen or so messages a month, depending on the number of trips and activities being organised.
You can receive individual messages, or a daily digest of messages.
Sending a message to the email list
- send an email to the email list - click on wgtncaving@yahoogroups [period] com -> mailto:wgtncaving [snail] yahoogroups [period] com
Joining and leaving the email list
Click on the following links, and then in your email software click send.
- subscribe to wgtncaving, send an empty email to wgtncaving-subscribe@yahoogroups [period] com -> mailto:wgtncaving-subscribe [snail] yahoogroups [period] com
- unsubscribe from wgtncaving, send an empty email to wgtncaving-unsubscribe@yahoogroups [period] com -> mailto:wgtncaving-unsubscribe [snail] yahoogroups [period] com
- subscribe to sumpthink, send an empty email to sumpthink-subscribe@yahoogroups [period] com -> mailto:sumpthink-subscribe [snail] yahoogroups [period] com
- unsubscribe from sumpthink, send an empty email to sumpthink-unsubscribe@yahoogroups [period] com -> mailto:sumpthink-unsubscribe [snail] yahoogroups [period] com
Visit the email lists on the web
Why have email lists
Yahoo!Groups provide a free email news and discussion forum for the Wellington Caving Group.
This is an advertising supported service that allows club members to administer their own subscription details, particularly useful for keeping email addresses current.
Many club members are members of other Yahoo!Groups and find this an extremely convenient means of communicating and sharing information with the clubs, associations, and professional bodies of their choice.
We use this because it avoids a plethora of partial and out of date lists held by members, and with the club website, where committee details are available, provides an effective and efficient means of communication.
Additionally this supports the club's committee by reducing the workload of committee members and allowing their focus to be on club achievements, rather than administration.
Using the email list
- Joining the list
- To get on the email list send a message (it doesn't need to have a subject or body) to wgtncaving-subscribe [snail] yahoogroups [period] com. To get off the email list send a message to wgtncaving-unsubscribe [snail] yahoogroups [period] com. To change you email address unsubscribe your old email address and subscribe your new email address.
- Emailing the list
- To send a message to the list email wgtncaving-subscribe [snail] yahoogroups [period] com from the email address you joined with.
- When you reply to a message off the list your reply will by default go to the list (some email software will offer you the choice of using the sender or the reply-to address). If you just want to respond to the sender just overkey the to address of your response email.
- Files are currently not accepted with email messages, and are removed. This could be changed if needed. This is done to reduce the junk from signatures. If you need to send a file with your email message talk to the webmaster. Putting a file or photo on the club website and then notifying people about it is the preferred option.
- Messages to the email list can also be read or posted from the web at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/WGTNCAVING/info. To do this you need to sign up to yahoo. (More information about this here.)