NEW ZEALAND SPELEOLOGICAL SOCIETY ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
The 2018 NZSS AGM will be held at 6pm, Saturday 20th October 2018 at the Vista Motorlodge, Wairoa
The AGM weekend is hosted by Wellington Caving Group with support from other North Island caving groups from Friday 19th to Monday 22nd of October (Labour weekend) around the Wairoa district. The AGM weekend will be the usual mixture of caving trips and other self-guided adventures, an hour and a bit of formality, followed by eating, drinking and entertainment.
The approximate order of events will be:
- Friday Evening: from 5.30pm A ‘meet and greet’ Wine and Cheese at the Te Kupenga Wairoa Racecourse. Wine supplied, BYO other drinks.
We endeavour to welcome you as you arrive and hopefully provide a space appropriate to your requirements. Please indicate on your registration if you will attend wine and cheese.
- Saturday: caving trips at Mt Whakapunake, several good caves there, we will try to accommodate for all levels.
We also have permission to explore Mangaone cave system that has an optional 24 mtr waterfall abseil and a myriad of passages. May even be a canyoning trip for those that are interested.
- Saturday Evening at the Vista Motor Lodge & Restaurant, Wairoa: AGM (6pm) and competition winners; dinner (7.30pm) and entertainment. (Please note that due to the licence conditions, this venue is NOT BYO.)
- Sunday: Caving and trips as per Saturday.
- Sunday Evening: BBQ from 5.30pm, at Te Kupenga Wairoa Racecourse and the Arch Nana award, BYO drinks.
- Monday Morning: More caving and heading home.
On Friday night you can sign up for the caving trips that you are interested in or else on the morning of the trip. There will be a mixture of trips including those suitable for beginners, those SRT inclined, plus recommendations for some non-caving activities.
We will base ourselves at the Te Kupenga Wairoa Racecourse complex, Frazertown Road (map), there is plenty of room for camping and there are showers and toilets.
WCG will provide hot water, but cooking and food storage is limited. Please arrange cooking and food storage for yourself if you want to stay at the racecourse. WCG can bring a few camping gas cookers especially for people flying in, please let us know well before if you can’t bring your own.
Registration is free, and the accommodation price is low, $10 per person per night, please indicate how many people multiplied by nights you want to stay and pay when you register. Other accommodation options include motels, commercial campground and cabins in Wairoa, and air B&Bs in the local area. Please make these arrangements yourself ahead of time as Labour weekend can be busy.
Registration is free. For more information about the event please contact Anna Stewart -> mailto:wcg-president [snail] caving [period] org [period] nz 021 054 3257
Payment needs to be done well in advance of the weekend. Please pay by internet banking to the WCG BANK ACCOUNT at Westpac 03-0502-0001003-000.
- Please put AGM and your FULL NAME in the reference!
- Please also send an email wcg-treasurer [snail] caving [period] org [period] nz when you have paid.
- $10 per night accommodation at the racecourse
- $0 Wine and Cheese Friday night
- $40.00, child (5 to 11 years) $20 AGM dinner Saturday night
- $20.00, child (5 to 11 years) $10 BBQ Sunday night
NZSS runs annual competitions for Surveying, Literary achievement and Photography. These take place at the time of the NZSS Annual General Meeting, held at Labour Weekend every year. The prizes are awarded at the AGM dinner after the Annual General Meeting. Only financial members of NZSS may enter.
All maps produced during the year, and submitted to NZSS, are automatically entered in the surveying competition by the Maps Officers.
Literary Cup competition
Presented for the best article of the year in either the New Zealand Speleological Bulletin, or the NZSS newsletter (the Tomo Times).
Best Affiliated Group newsletter competition (The Lipyeat Teaset)
Awarded to the editor of the newsletter deemed best by the judge of the Literary Cup.
NZSS Photographic competition
There are four sections and an overall trophy, the NZSS Photo Competition Trophy.
- Entries to be of a cave or a caving scene.
- All entries must be in the hands of the Competition coordinator on the Friday two weeks prior to Labour Weekend.
- Pybus Cup for Black & White/Colour Prints
- Waitomo Caves Museum Trophy (Novice cup) for Black & White/Colour Prints
- Hobson Cup for Artistic/Modified/Fantasy
- Dimond Cup Short Video or film: not exceeding five minutes in duration compiled using suitable, standard software
- NZSS Trophy awarded to the photographer attaining the highest aggregated points obtained from all the sections that they have entered
For the Photographic and Dimond Cup competitions please upload your photos and short videos via https://tinyurl.com/NZSSphoto and send a mail what you have uploaded to the competition coordinator Guy Dubuis -> mailto:NZSS2018Competition [snail] gmail [period] com
For literary and best newsletter award please send your nominations/newsletters to the competition coordinator Guy Dubuis -> mailto:NZSS2018Competition [snail] gmail [period] com
Arch Nana: also a little change this year, if you have a good nomination for other people (or yourself) for the Arch Nana award and can't attend the AGM weekend or want to have it told by the Arch Nana presenter please also send your story and the nomination beforehand to Guy -> mailto:NZSS2018Competition [snail] gmail [period] com